Cover and illustrations by Gabby Grant
Map illustration by Guy Manning
‘Go and explore if you can be bothered!’ – Elen’s Gran
‘He was only a puffling then. He’ll be all better soon and when he is I’ll release him into the wild.’ Elen could tell that the boy really loved Captain Beaky. He went up in her estimation quite a lot after that.
Elen’s Island is set in fictionalised versions of Tenby and Caldey & Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire.
… a beautiful story full of wonder, adventure and excitement which will perfectly suit those newly confident first readers. Elen is a fascinating character full of determination, spirit and bravery … The island itself is an intrinsic part of the story so much so that you can’t help but fall in love with it, just like Elen.
It feels like a truly magical place that any child would love to find themselves in the middle of an adventure amongst the dunes and caves. With whispers of mermaids, potions and buried treasure it is an irresistible combination. Filled with just the right amount of mystery, intrigue and the unknown it would make the perfect summer read for children aged 6 and over. ‘Elen’s Island’ has a real timeless appeal which is enchanting and truly charming. Book Lover Jo
• ‘This book is magical! It’s evocative of the wild beauty of Wales and has the feel of classic British children’s literature – Aberglad is like a Welsh Kirrin Island, and the result of Elen and Rowan’s treasure hunt is a heartwarming message about the enduring power of family and love.’ Sharon Fried-Jones, Book Trust.
• It reminds me a bit of Kirrin Island in the Famous Five Books. Not that this book is anything like Blyton. True, it’s primarily a rollicking adventure with some exciting set-pieces, and a delightful summer read, but it’s also an insightful tale about growing up and finding yourself. About learning to recognise what is truly precious. This is a first rate book I shall be giving out for Christmas and birthdays. Eloise Williams is a writer to watch. Saviour Pirotta, Awfully Big Reviews.
• ‘With a plucky, driven heroine, a magical mystery and a pace that never lets up, Elen’s Island is a rollicking read that promises to keep readers enchanted and engaged.’ Guy Bass, author of Stitch Head
• “A meticulously crafted novel that will encourage the most reluctant young reader to keep turning the pages. Elen is a heroine every child will identify with.” Catrin Collier, novelist
• ‘Wildly imaginative, funny and poignant, Elen’s Island keeps us hooked from the first scintillating sentence. You’ll fall in love with the feisty Elen, her phenomenal gran and a magical island.’ Stevie Davies, novelist
• ‘An absolute treat.’ Jamie Owen, BBC Wales Presenter
• ‘Eloise has crafted a beautifully written and magical tale that will keep readers, both young and old, enthralled from the first funny sentence right through to the final, poignant conclusion.’ BB Skone, Western Telegraph
• I highly recommend it. This book has so many good ingredients. Together they make a fabulous book with a wonderful ending.’ Suze, Librarian Lavender
I love the Character Elen because she is so nice and sweet.
The naughty boy is really funny too,
I think you should keep writing books like that because they are great!’ Liam, age 9, Powys.
Elen’s Island inspired decorations at Broseley Primary School. Aren’t they beautiful?!
Some Elen’s Island activity suggestions from Family Evans-Crittens
Draw or paint a picture of the fictional Aberglad and the Island – Clue: Aberglad is really Tenby in Pembrokeshire and the island is based on Caldey.
Go to a beach and describe what you see, hear, taste and touch. Try to include similes and metaphors if you can!
Go on a walk and make a map of the area, so your friends/family can explore it too.
Decorate a memory box or treasure chest to store all your favourite memories from your summer adventure.
Choose a word and write an Acrostic poem.
Make a tin or jar garden lantern. Put a candle in it and see how pretty the garden looks in the dark.
Make a shell garland to hang in your garden.
Make a sea glass garden hanging decoration.
Make CD hanging decorations.